Bluejay Bytes (Week of 10/3/11)
It is a busy week for the Creighton Bluejays. The men’s soccer team rebounded with a win over Wisconsin this week, the women’s soccer team got a nice win over Wright State, and the volleyball team hits the road for their toughest competition yet.
Campus is also buzzing over the official release from Creighton Athletics about ESPN being in town for the Bluejay Madness event scheduled for next Friday. That’s right; college hoops begins in the next week!
As the athletic calendar continues to overlap, there will be more and more stories about the Creighton Bluejays, some things you’ll see and read and others you may miss. In addition to the original and timely content provided by White & Blue Review, there are other writers across the vast Internet landscape crafting stories about Creighton athletics. Plus there are events going on across campus that we want to help communicate out to the fans so that they can be a part of these events as well.
To help promote both of those things, and to satisfy your craving for more Creighton sports information, we present to you Bluejay Bytes.
- Find out more info about Creighton’s Athletic facilities.
- The latest rankings compiled by Creighton Sports Information. Creighton still #5 in the main poll.
- Creighton looked to bounce back after losing to Maryland.
- They did with a big win over Wisconsin.
- Brian Holt is a finalist for the Lowe’s Senior Class award. Go vote now!
- Alicia Montgomery was named MVC Defensive Player of the week.
- The women are heating up getting ready for conference play with a win over Wright State.
- The MVC Women’s Soccer Notebook includes Montgomery’s award and team notes.
- Julianne Mandolfo and Leah McNary get MVC Awards this week.
- The MVC Weekly Notebook talks about Mandolfo and McNary and their awards.
- Tough competition this weekend for the Bluejays. And they are excited for the difficult road swing.
- Head Coach Kirsten Bernthal Booth is being inducted Friday night to her alma mater’s Athletic Hall of Fame.
- Chris Culhane and Meghan Barry again with notable performances from the MVC.
- Doug McDermott is named to the Wooden Award watch list. A little more info on the award.
- College coaches break down the Wooden Top 50.
- ESPN’s Andy Katz thinks Gregory Echenique will be added to that list by mid-season.
- Bluejay Banter interviewed Katz and Creighton head coach Greg McDermott.
- Creighton officially announces Bluejay Madness on ESPN. ESPN provided their own announcement.
- Austin Chatman will let his play do the talking.
- Here is a video of the players working on their conditioning.
- They are working out using the “lid drill” too.
- The Sporting News has Creighton ranked #35 in their Top 50 rankings.
- Ballin’ is a Habit has the Bluejays at #30 in their top 50.
- Another college basketball preview that mentions to watch out for Creighton.
- Wichita Eagle’s Paul Suellentrop also thinks Creighton could win the Valley this season.
- Gregory Echenique still has a chance to help Venezuela make the Olympics. The last qualifying tournament isn’t until next summer, but it still hasn’t been decided where the games will be played.
- Kenny Lawson is headed to Israel to play basketball. He originally announced it on Twitter.
- Rush the Court has also started floating the idea of a Catholic Schools Conference if this conference realignment continues.
- Northwestern is getting a lot of heat for their non-conference schedule that includes the Bluejays.
- Coach Carrie Moore is turning over the blog she wrote last season to the team. It is now called “Tuesdays with the Bluejays.” The first entry is being done by senior basketball player DeNae Moore.
- Check out the latest newsletter from the Women’s Basketball Team.
- The men’s team gets their best showing of the season and Kevin Stanek tied for second.
- The Women’s team finishes sixth in a twelve-team event.
- Creighton finished their fall schedule with a sweep at the hands of Nebraska.
- Kelsey Schmidt and Mary McMullan are re-writing the Creighton record books.
- The MVC Women’s singles championships are this weekend.
- Key to Creighton Volleyball’s success in 2017 Will Be at Setter - August 19, 2016
- 8 Must-See Non-Conference Games During Big East Basketball This Season - August 17, 2016
- Creighton’s Big East Rival Is… - August 4, 2016
- The Creighton 2016-17 Sports Season Kicks Off - August 3, 2016
- Bluejay Bytes: Creighton on the Airwaves - July 22, 2016
- MBL Champs Crowned, Gibbs & Smith Lead the Rooferees to Victory - July 22, 2016
- Metro Summer League 2016 Semifinals Set for Thursday - July 19, 2016
- Metro Summer League 2016 Tournament: First & Second Round Preview - July 17, 2016
- Metro Summer League 2016 Session 6 Recap (7/14/16) - July 15, 2016
- Metro Summer League 2016 Session 6 Preview - July 14, 2016