Creighton Hoops to Host “Madness” Event for Fans
Greg McDermott will officially begin the new era of Creighton basketball by offering fans a chance to get mad.
Rumors of a “Midnight Madness” event taking place when the Bluejays begin full team practices Friday, October 15, have been loud and clear for the past few months. And last week, McDermott told the World-Herald’s Steve Pivovar that indeed an event will take place. Now, details about Creighton’s “madness” experience are beginning to leak. And the madness certainly seems likely to make Jays fans happy.
(If you’re a long-time reader of WBR, you know how excited I am that McDermott and the folks on the Hilltop are putting this event together. Last year, I even opined about what my own Bluejay Madness event would look like.)
The past few seasons, Creighton has hosted men’s basketball team preseason scrimmages, allowing fans to purchase unsold season tickets and catch a glimpse of the year’s squad in training mode. This season, McDermott and his staff are stepping up the showmanship. According to this morning’s “Go Jays” e-mail update from associate athletic director Kevin Sarver, the event on October 15 will feature sharpshooting and high flying Bluejays. Among the plans:
- Introductions of players and coaches from both the women’s and men’s teams
- Three-point shooting contest (a bracketed-event, eight two-person teams featuring one member from the men’s team and one from the women’s squad)
- 15-minute scrimmages by both squads
- Men’s team dunk contest
- Autograph session for both teams starting at 8:30 p.m.
That’s right — Jim Flanery and the women’s team will be getting involved, too!
The event, which takes place at the Ryan Center on campus, is slated to start at 7:30 p.m.; doors will open at 7:00 p.m. Creighton will also be collecting canned food items for the Siena/Francis House that evening.
Oh, and there are rumors that you can join both Mac’s Militia and the Flanatics that evening. As if you needed more reasons to show up to what promises to be an entertaining preview of an exciting season of men’s and women’s hoops!
- Creighton Men’s Basketball 2017-18 Viewing Guide - October 24, 2017
- Ballock and Thomas Lead Andy’s Lawncare to Omaha Metro Summer League Title - July 21, 2017
- Metro Basketball League Semifinals Set for Thursday Night - July 18, 2017
- Metro Summer League 2017 Tournament Preview - July 16, 2017
- Summer League 2017 Session 4 Recap - July 6, 2017
- Omaha Metro Summer League 2017 Starts June 15th - June 15, 2017
- Creighton Basketball Going to Northwestern for 2017 Gavitt Games - May 20, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Women’s Basketball vs. Toledo (NCAA Tournament 1st Round) - March 17, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Men’s Basketball vs. Rhode Island (NCAA Tournament 1st Round) - March 17, 2017
- Social Media: Big East Tournament! - March 8, 2017