Preview: Omaha Metro Summer Basketball (Week 4)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Games take place at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. this week and next. This is a change from the original schedule published early this summer.
Thursday marks the final week of play before the Omaha Metro Summer Basketball League begins its tournament. Two teams remain undefeated — Barley’s and McGinn Law — while Rodney Buford’s Go Gettaz is the only team yet to chalk up a victory. The rest of the league will jockey for playoff positioning tonight at the Omaha Sports Academy. Here’s what to watch!
Game of the Night:
6:30 p.m. (Court 3) State Farm (1-3) vs. Shanks Law (2-2)
Bluejays to watch: Antoine Young, Dane Watts, Kody Ingle, Casey Harriman, Matt Dorwart, Will Artino
During a week when no games feature matchups of teams over .500, Creighton fans will have to settle for a 1-3 State Farm team trying to pick up a win against Shanks Law. They’ll have to do so without Greg Echenique, the Bluejay transfer who made a big splash during last week’s games. But the rest of the roster should be in town for tonight’s game, including Antoine Young, who continues to impress during summer play. On the other bench, Casey Harriman and Matt Dorwart look to lead Shanks Law to a 3-2 record with the help of CU newcomers Kody Ingle and Will Artino.
Other Games of Interest:
6:30 p.m. (Court 4) Narmi Group (2-2) vs. Go Gettaz (0-4)
Bluejays to watch: Rodney Buford, Kenny Lawson, Jahenns Manigat, Doug McDermott, Ross Ferrarini
This game offers Creighton fans a bit of the past, the present, and the future. Buford, the school’s all-time leading scorer, and his Go Gettaz team haven’t been able to get over the hump during summer play. Still, it is excited for local CU fans to get another chance to watch Buford play. Narmi Group features all-MVC candidate Kenny Lawson, as well as freshmen Jahenns Manigat and Doug McDermott. That’s quite a few faces for Creighton fans to keep tabs on at Court 4.
7:30 p.m. (Court 1) UNO (3-1) vs. ABIDE Ministries (1-3)
Bluejays to watch: Josh Dotzler, Nick Bahe, Pierce Hibma, Taylor Stormberg, Darryl Ashford
Other than Barley’s and McGinn Law, two of the best teams record-wise have been Bellevue University and UNO. The current Mavericks look to inch closer to a top seed in the tournament against a squad heavy with former Bluejays.
7:30 p.m. (Court 3) EQ School of Hair (1-3) vs. Icehouse (3-1)
Bluejays to watch: Kaleb Korver, Wayne Runnels
Creighton’s Kaleb Korver and Wayne Runnels lost a tough game last week in double overtime. Runnels led EQ back from a 20-point deficit, notching yet another impressive summer league effort. Icehouse will prove yet another difficult test for EQ, fielding pros Andrew Drevo and Jason Dourisseau.
6:30 p.m. (Court 1) Bellevue University (3-1) vs. Heartland Properties (1-3)
Bluejays to watch: Josh Jones, Ethan Wragge
No amount of Josh Jones’ smiles or Ethan Wragge bombs can erase the 1-3 record Heartland Properties brings into Thursday’s game. Things just haven’t clicked for this team, which also features local high school standout Akoy Agau. They have their hands full with a Bellevue Bruins team that continues to play well together.
6:30 p.m. (Court 2) UNO Alumni (1-3) vs. Barley’s (4-0)
Bluejays to watch: Brody Deren
This will be an interesting contest. Brody Deren’s UNO alum squad (weird, yes?) could easily be 3-1, so don’t let the records fool you. Barley’s is undefeated, but the UNO squad has some size and may be able to match up well with Barley’s on both ends of the court. The Barley’s roster is littered with longtime pros, though, which to this point has given them the upper hand in their games.
7:30 p.m. (Court 2) Bellevue Alumni (2-2) vs. McGinn Law (4-0)
This is another matchup featuring a local school’s alumni team and an undefeated group of pros and current college players. The ex-Bruins will have their hands full with a team featuring Nick Svehla and Wes Wilkinson.
- Photo Gallery: Creighton Baseball’s Season Ends After Blowout Loss to St. John’s - May 28, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 26, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - May 22, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 25, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - May 8, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 24, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - April 24, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 23, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - April 11, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 22, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - March 29, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 21, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - March 14, 2017
- Bluejays Bytes Podcast: Episode 20, Sponsored by Lawlor’s Custom Sportswear - March 10, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Bluejays Get Back on Track Against DePaul During Annual Pink Out Game - January 29, 2017
- Morning After: No. 10 Creighton Turns Back Seton Hall to Stay Unbeaten, Set Up Showdown With No. 1 Villanova on NYE - December 29, 2016