Vigness Leaves Creighton for Top Job at Wisconsin
Vigness, who was the dean of Creighton coaches even before men’s basketball coach Dana Altman left in April and men’s soccer coach Bob Warming left last month, was only the second-ever coach in the 34-year history of the softball program. He won 553 games with the Jays, won six Missouri Valley Conference Tournament titles, six MVC regular-season titles and made seven appearances in the NCAA Tournament.
Though Altman and Warming often received the most attention and recognition, Vigness was arguably the most successful of the three. Regardless, Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen will immediately begin a “nationwide search” to replace his third coach in less than three months.
After the hiring of Creighton men’s golf coach Chris Wiemers and Creighton cross country coach Chas Davis last summer, this will be the Jays’ fifth new coach in a little over a year after going about six years with absolutely no turnover in the head coaching ranks.
- Volleyball Wraps Up Spring, Looks Ahead to Fall - April 24, 2011
- McDermott Era Begins Friday Against Alabama State - November 11, 2010
- Creighton Women’s Basketball Profiles: Sam Schuett - November 10, 2010
- Creighton Basketball Player Profiles: Kenny Lawson Jr. - November 3, 2010
- Creighton Basketball Player Profiles: Casey Harriman - November 2, 2010
- Creighton Basketball Player Profiles: Wayne Runnels - October 29, 2010
- Women’s Soccer: Jays Top Illinois State, Win Valley Title - October 28, 2010
- Creighton Basketball Player Profiles: Josh Jones - October 26, 2010
- Volleyball: Jays Not Looking Ahead to UNI - October 21, 2010
- WBR Men’s Basketball Video: Bluejay Madness - October 18, 2010