Creighton Basketball to Participate in Metro Basketball League, Starting June 20
Miss Creighton hoops? You can relive last season here. Or, starting Thursday, June 20, you can start watching the majority of next year’s Bluejays roster play competitive pick-up games in person.
The Metro Summer Basketball League returns to action 6/20 for another summer of hoops at the Omaha Sports Academy.
WBR is proud to be the official host of all things MBL for the fourth consecutive year.
Check out our summer league mini-site for all the information you need including schedules, team rosters, results, location information, and sponsors.
Like last year, 20 teams comprise the MBL this summer. To meet everyone’s demanding schedules, the dates of games shift back and forth during a few of the weeks.
If you are not familiar with the format, here is a little background:
Who plays in the league?
The MBL rosters are comprised of current and incoming players for Creighton, Nebraska-Omaha, Bellevue University, Midland University and other local colleges will take part. Recent graduates and professionals make up the teams in the league, as well.
All of the current and incoming Creighton basketball players will be part of the league this summer at various times, except for Doug McDermott.
- McDermott will be working with Team USA to take part in the World University Games at the end of the month with games during July.
- Ethan Wragge is recovering from offseason wrist surgery and could play in the latter part of the league.
- Incoming players Devin Brooks and James Milliken will not be in town until early July.
- Incoming freshmen Toby Hegner, Darian Harris, and Zach Hansen are in town this summer and will be participating.
Due to NCAA D-1 rules, only two current players from one school can play on the same team, but they can be surrounded by unlimited newcomers and graduates.
Here’s how the Creighton roster breaks down with the teams in summer league (grads and legends in parenthesis):
- Steve Ferrarini, Jahenns Manigat, Devin Brooks, and Alex Olsen
- James Milliken and Austin Chatman
- Isaiah Zierden and Geoffrey Groselle (with Nick Bahe, Matt Dorwart, and Ross Ferrarini)
- Avery Dingman and Zach Hansen (with Livan Pyfrom)
- Will Artino and Toby Hegner (with Brice Nengsu)
- Darian Harris and Ethan Wragge
Other Creighton grads Brody Deren, Antoine Young, and Justin Carter will also be on different teams in the league. Carter is part of the defending MBL champions, Bank of Nebraska. Their complete team returns which also includes Biggs from Nebraska amongst others.
These pairings should make for some interesting games. One other player to note is Geoffrey Groselle’s brother, Mike, who finished his college career this past season at the Citadel. He is in Omaha this summer and will play with Geoffrey on the same team. The two big men could make an interesting pair for the summer.
When are the games?
Dates of play
- June 20 — 6 p.m. / 7 p.m. / 8 p.m.
- June 27 — 6 p.m. / 7 p.m. / 8 p.m.
- July 2 — 7 p.m. / 8 p.m. / 9 p.m.
- July 8 — 6 p.m. / 7 p.m. / 8 p.m. (note: Monday date)
- July 11 – 6 p.m. / 7 p.m. / 8 p.m.
- July 18 — 6 p.m. / 7 p.m. / 8 p.m.
- July 23 — 7 p.m. / 8 p.m. / 9 p.m.
- July 25 — 6 p.m. / 7 p.m.
The MBL schedule begins on Thursday, June 20, with the first of five nights of pool play. A tournament with all 20 teams will take place over a three-night period starting July 18, with the league completing play on July 25.
With the diverse availability of the Omaha Sports Academy, there are a wide range of nights that games are held. There are a few Tuesdays, a few Thursdays, and even a Monday night. Games start at 6, 7, and 8 p.m. or 7, 8, and 9 p.m.. For the full schedule, visit the schedule page for more information.
Admission is free, but programs will be available for purchase to match up jersey numbers and players and to help defray the costs of the league.
Can’t make it to games? WBR has you covered. We’ll write as many previews and game recaps as we can. There could be a few other surprises during the summer as well. Only a week away from more hoops. What could be better?
- Omaha Metro Summer League 2017 Starts June 15th - June 15, 2017
- Creighton Basketball Going to Northwestern for 2017 Gavitt Games - May 20, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Women’s Basketball vs. Toledo (NCAA Tournament 1st Round) - March 17, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Men’s Basketball vs. Rhode Island (NCAA Tournament 1st Round) - March 17, 2017
- Social Media: Big East Tournament! - March 8, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Men’s Basketball at 2017 Big East Tournament - March 8, 2017
- Media Menu: Creighton Men’s Basketball vs. St. John’s - February 28, 2017
- Media Menu: #23 Creighton men’s Basketball vs. Providence - February 22, 2017
- Media Menu: #20 Creighton Men’s Basketball vs. Georgetown - February 17, 2017
- Media Menu: #20 Creighton Men’s Basketball @ Seton Hall - February 15, 2017
- Baseball, Men's Basketball, Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's Soccer, Men's Tennis, Softball, Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Women's Crew, Women's Cross Country, Women's Soccer, Women's Tennis
- Men's Basketball