Creighton Cross Country Teams Set to Run in Big East Championships
It has been a fall full of firsts for the Creighton athletic department. There was the first Big East match and victory for Creighton (men’s soccer 9/21 against St. John’s). The men’s soccer team was also the first Bluejay’s team to play a Big East match on the road traveling to Georgetown 9/28. Today marks the first Big East Championship in which the Bluejays will participate.
The Bluejays will make the short trip to Milwaukee as Marquette hosts the meet at the Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course in Somers, Wisconsin. The men’s 8K race will be followed by the women’s 6K run.
On the women’s side, a loaded field will be a tough challenge for the Bluejays. Three top-10 teams will running this morning; #3 Georgetown, #4 Providence, #7 Butler, and Villanova who is receiving votes. On the men’s site, Providence (19) and Villanova (26) will be their toughest competition. With rosters full of freshmen and sophomores, head coach Matt Rogers knows the important of patience in developing his runners.
“We are a very young team that understands the importance of patience and developmental training,” Rogers said. “We are looking to compete with teams that are currently within our reach.”
Leading the way for the men’s team this year has been sophomore Garrett Kenyon and for the women, freshman Maddie Ivy. Kenyon and Ivy have led the Bluejays in each meet this season. Along with the rest of the team, they will face tough competition at the conference meet, but as young runners, they will benefit from this meet.
“Garrett and Maddie are like every other athlete on this team,” Rogers said. “They are all still very developmental athletes and will improve on their own individual weaknesses without comparing themselves to other athletes this early in their career. They will both gain many aspects of experience from this race.”
The Bluejays will come in rested to today’s meet. Their last meet was October 18th at the Bradley Classic. The Bluejays were able to compete again Marquette and DePaul. The men finished behind both teams while the women finished behind Marquette but ahead of DePaul.
Another highlight from the Bradley Classic was the record breaking performances by Ivy and junior Courtney Sawle. They broke the unofficial school record for a 6K race. The previous record was 21:59 from September 28, 2002. Ivy ran 21:39 and Sawle just breaking the record at 21:57.
After today’s conference meet, the Bluejays will compete next at the NCAA Midwest Regional Championships on November 15 in Ames, Iowa.
- Creighton Bluejays Fantasy Men’s Basketball: the All-Time Starting Five - July 23, 2014
- Doug McDermott’s 31-point Summer League Performance – Twitter’s Reaction - July 14, 2014
- Doug McDermott Selected 11th in the 2014 NBA Draft - June 27, 2014
- Creighton Unveils New Championship Center - June 7, 2014
- Creighton Cross Country Teams Set to Run in Big East Championships - November 2, 2013
- Creighton Cross Country Teams Gear Up for Conference Meet - October 27, 2012
- Q & A With Creighton Cross Country Coach Chas Davis - September 15, 2012
- Cross Country Teams Open the Season in Omaha - September 1, 2012
- Freshmen Add Depth, Talent to Creighton Cross Country Teams - August 31, 2012
- White & Blue Review Pick ‘Em – North Carolina (NCAA) - March 18, 2012